The Trenton Friends Meeting House at 142 East Hanover Street is the oldest continuously operating house of worship in Trenton, having been used by the Quakers since it was built in 1739. It was briefly occupied by British troops during the Revolutionary War.
The Meeting House is open every Sunday at 10am for worship - all are welcome! Free community yoga is held every first Saturday of the month at 9am.
The Meeting House continues to be well preserved and kept in beautiful condition. In 2008, the building was added to the list of National Register of Historic Places.
The adjacent cemetery serves as the final resting place for many Trentonians who played a prominent role in the Trenton's early history, including George Clymer, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
A portion of land adjacent to Friends Meeting House is also the earliest known burial place in Trenton for African-American residents. When the YWCA was built next door in 1925, newspapers referenced the existence of a slave cemetery on the site. It served as a burial location for a nearby historic African-American church. Mt. Zion African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church was originally located two blocks away from Friends Meeting House on Perry Street. Members of Mt. Zion were buried here from 1799 until more space was needed around 1860. The property was sold and a new African-American cemetery, known as Locust Hill Cemetery, was established on Hart Avenue. Burials from the previous cemetery were reinterred at Locust Hill as well. Mt. Zion A.M.E. is now located on Pennington Avenue.
FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE